Tuesday 1 January 2013

Of Local Interest

I acquired this in memoriam card just before Christmas. It is the first time I have come across one of local interest to where I live. William Sugden lived in Longridge and was buried in Knowle Green Cemetery which is just a couple of miles from my home. The grave was very easy to find as the modern graves seem to be in strict chronlogical order. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered the lettering on the headstone virtually illegible. Peculiarly, as I tried to work it all out, I noticed a 'message' on the stone - I AM SUGDEN. I realised it was what remained on the words William Sugden. Next time I visit, I'll try to do a rubbing to get the full inscription.




 




1 comment:

SeaThreePeeO said...

Treasured Memories

Edith

Beloved Wife of William Sugden

July ?th 1946 aged 83 years

All The sweeter that she lived


That's all I can get at the moment.

Beneath Thy Feet

Welcome to the Graveyard Detective

An illustrated look at the World of Graveyards and Cemeteries. There are many Stories behind the Stones that Stand in them. Who knows what we might find?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...