Wednesday 20 April 2011

Vanished!

Last Sunday I visited a cemetery a few miles from my home. When I walked through the gate, I was amazed by the quality and the beauty of the headstones and memorials stretched out before me. This weekend, I will share with you views of a number of striking mourning figures I found there. My last post 'What Lies Beneath' showed the rough handiwork inside the interior of a stone memorial. By way of connection, one of the first headstones I saw was topped by rose and other foliage. When I looked down, I was rather shocked to find that there was something missing. Normally, a mason carves the words into the headstone but, here, the names were inscribed on a panel that was then fixed to the front of the stone. Someone has removed the panel in its entirety, so it is now an unknown grave. I haven't seen anything similar before. If you look closely, you can see two of the fixing pins at the top edge of the surround.



No comments:

Welcome to the Graveyard Detective

An illustrated look at the World of Graveyards and Cemeteries. There are many Stories behind the Stones that Stand in them. Who knows what we might find?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...