Friday 5 July 2013

Mystery Memorial

I found this print a few days ago. I seem to remember taking photographs of various military memorials - possibly near the British Army base at Celle in the then West Germany - while visiting British troops. It commemorates Prisoners of War who died in the 1914-21 War. I can see that it commemorates 780 Russians, 70 Serbians, 5 Romanians and 4 Poles. So why on earth would Germans raise such a memorial ? I am mystified but perhaps things might become clearer if I can link the photograph with strips of black and white negative strips with contact sheets in one of several folders of my negatives I found today. In the meantime, any suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you! Click on the image and then again for a closer view of the wording.


1 comment:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Hard to say why the memorial was done. Thing is when was it made? back after WW1 or by a different generation who feel more sorry for what happened.

Welcome to the Graveyard Detective

An illustrated look at the World of Graveyards and Cemeteries. There are many Stories behind the Stones that Stand in them. Who knows what we might find?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...