Sunday 8 May 2011

Iron Grave Markers in Virginia

The Fredericksburg Confederate Cemetery is also the City cemetery and while there I noticed three iron grave markers. I photographed the large pair from front and rear. I guess the large circular recess is to hold a pot of blooms? The frame of one has long since rusted away and the stone plaque now rests against the base. The other is recumbent and forms an ornate border to what remains of the stone. Sadly, I cannot now remember the size of the latter, although it may have been the grave of a small child. If anyone has been to Fredericksburg and remembers it, please let me know.



4 comments:

Owen said...

I've never seen one quite like that... odd that someone thought the metalwork would last for long. Or maybe it was a case of planned obsolescence ?

You are certainly coming up with all sorts of crazy stuff from all over the map these days... having too much fun, I can tell...

Keep it coming...

Laurie said...

Thanks, Owen.

Well, I have to finish off here in Fredericksburg and visit the Wilderness battlefield. Then I am going to mosey down to North Carolina. I am really enjoying the time-travelling!

Unknown said...

Wow. How interesting!

Gale Wall said...

I would love to see these in person. Great shots!

Welcome to the Graveyard Detective

An illustrated look at the World of Graveyards and Cemeteries. There are many Stories behind the Stones that Stand in them. Who knows what we might find?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...