Saturday 27 February 2010

Phoenix Rising!

I was revisiting a series of photographs that I took a few months ago in the spectacular Bath Abbey Cemetery.  I was intrigued by what I took to be a large bird atop a large column that marked a grave.

Closer scrutiny revealed it to be a representation of a Phoenix - the mythical, sacred firebird. The reason for its inclusion became clear when I looked at the inscription on the grave. It marked the grave of John Monk Lambe who died in 1865. The inscription noted that he was formerly a Paymaster in the Royal Navy who served on HMS Phoenix - a wooden paddle sloop launched in 1832, converted to screw propulsion in 1845, and sold in 1864. I wonder if his will included a request for a phoenix rising from the ashes be included on his memorial?



3 comments:

Harnett-Hargrove said...

This is a nice one... the mythology of the Phoenix has always inspired me. -J

Kylita said...

Your site is great, I anxiously awaited a new post after seeing the 2/7 one and looking at MANY back posts. Your photography is awesome. Thanks.
SisSTAR
ps I have taken photos of nearly all my dead relatives in 2 family cemeteries as a genealogy record and also as I cannot visit there very much.

GYPSYWOMAN said...

fabulous post! love the phoenix, too! i always so enjoy your blog!

Welcome to the Graveyard Detective

An illustrated look at the World of Graveyards and Cemeteries. There are many Stories behind the Stones that Stand in them. Who knows what we might find?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...